Friday 27 May 2011

Mini Upside-Down Peach Cake



When you love baking, but don't have an army of kids and dogs to feed, things can get a little dangerous... Of course, my one son would be more than happy to inhale an entire cake in an afternoon, but I do feel I have a duty as a parent to restrain his appetite for sugar.  So I end up doing what any loving, responsible mother would do: I cut him a slice, then eat the rest myself.  Like I said, this can get very dangerous.


So this morning at breakfast while I was flicking through my favourite cake book, Cakes To Celebrate Love and Life, which never fails to inspire me, I had an idea.  I'd make a mini-cake.  Substantial enough in its sliceable cake-ness, but small enough not to feel too guilty when you gobble it all up in the name of maternal self-sacrifice.


Mini Upside-Down Peach Cake (dairy free)

3 ripe peaches or nectarines, peeled and sliced
125g plain four
200g golden granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
a pinch of salt
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 egg
75ml vegetable oil
75ml rice milk

Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
Line a 20cm cake tin with greaseproof paper and arrange peach slices in the bottom.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarb, salt, zest).
In a separate bowl, or the measuring jug used for the oil and milk, combine all wet ingredients (lemon juice, egg, oil, milk) and mix well.
Add wet mixture slowly to dry mixture and mix on a medium speed until fully incorporated.
Pour this batter over the peach slices and bake for 45 mins, or until an inserted skewer comes out cleanish (bear in mind this is quite a moist cake).
Leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins, then turn out onto a plate (peaches slices now facing up) and leave to cool further on a cooling rack.
Be careful when removing the greaseproof paper.



PS. This recipe was self-invented and does not come from the book I mentioned.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts, and if you have any questions at all, I will reply to them within these comments - so please be sure to check back to get your answer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...